If you find yourself in the rare position of having to decide which technology project to do next at your church, pick the one that's most likely to work (technically) and succeed (missionally). Look for the project that has:
- High Excitement From the Pastor/Executive Team
- High Excitement from the Ministry Team
- Positively impacts the largest number of people at your church
- Negatively impacts the smallest number of people on your staff
- Has the clearest set of requirements
- Has the lowest degree of complexity
The trick is the last two criteria. You (Tech Guru) may not be able to control the first four things, but you can impact the last two!
- You are in a position to clarify requirements. This means getting to the bottom line things the new technology must do.
- You are in a position to decrease complexity. This means finding working models your church can afford and copying one of them.
- You're smart enough to improve on something someone else is doing or to make it fit your church.
- You lack the time, experience, and resources to re-invent the wheel
Then again, do you really get to pick the next project?